External funding for graduate school

Funding will no doubt be important to you in deciding where you will ultimately study, but it will also be important to the schools where you apply. Most graduate programs will offer funding in the way of tuition remission and some sort of fellowship or stipend—which means that schools are limited in the number of applicants they can accept by how many spots they can afford to fill. If you can find external funding, you may increase your chances of admission (and for students interested in studying in the UK — where funding is difficult to come by — external funding may be your only option) . Below are some external funding opportunities you may want to check out. 

Note: The earlier you can look into this the better—if can get external funding, you will definitely want to make note of this in your applications.

Information on Ford Foundation Fellowships (for U.S. citizens or nationals) can be found here.

Information on the Javits fellowship (for U.S. citizens, nationals, or permanent residents) from the U.S. Department of Education can be found here.

Information on fellowships provided by the American Association of University Women (for U.S. citizens or permanent residents) can be found here.

Information on Fulbright Scholarships (for Americans wishing to study abroad or non-Americans wishing to study in the U.S.) can be found here.

If you graduated (or will graduate) from a liberal arts college, you might be eligible for a fellowship from the Council of Independent Colleges (depending on where you plan to study). For more information, see here

For students from outside the UK looking to study in the UK, information on the Chevening scholarship can be found here.

 Students from the UK might want to check this out, here.

And the following are for Canadian Students:

SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council; MA & PhD)

Ontario Graduate Scholarship (Ontario-only)

FQRSC (Fonds Québecois de recherche sur la société et la culture; Québec-only)

Trudeau Foundation Scholarships (For Canadian students, or students of Canadian universities.)

Canada Graduate Scholarships (for study abroad, via SSHRC)

Fulbright – Canada

Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund (CCSF)


~ by humeisapotato on March 14, 2011.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: